It was Saltine Crackers yesterday and today it is an assortment of easy to make dips to go with the Saltine crackers…
Talking about crackers I managed to get a box of crackers today from a local shop and some Cadbury’s chocolates for the tree..wow and I wasn’t even looking for them they were just there so we managed to get one tree up today and I will do the other one tomorrow…I am saving one for Lily to decorate when she arrives.
Smoked Mackerel Pate.
- 12 oz of mackerel cooked
- 5 oz of cream cheese
- 2/3 tbsp of horseradish sauce
- Black pepper to season
- Lemon Juice.
Flake the mackerel and mix with the cream cheese…I do this with a fork. Add 2 tbsp of ready-made horseradish sauce, A good squeeze of lemon juice and season with black pepper…TASTE… Adjust seasoning if necessary I generally add a 3rd tbsp of horseradish and more lemon but it is personal taste…
- I avocado
- 1 ripe tomato
- 1 finely chopped shallot or green onion…I prefer shallots
- I birds eye chilli finely chopped
- 1 tbsp of fresh coriander
- Salt and black pepper for seasoning
- Lime juice
Peel and roughly chop the avocado stir in the chopped onion, chilli, tomatoes and the coriander. Season to taste with salt and black pepper and a generous squeeze of lime juice.
Cover bowl with clingfilm and chill before chill before serving.
Cranberry and Rosemary cheese Spread.
- 8 oz room temperature cream cheese
- 4 oz of feta cheese crumbled
- 1 tsp of honey
- Half a cup of dried cranberries roughly chopped
- Half a cup of dried apricots roughly chopped
- 3/4 tsp of dried rosemary
- 1/2 tsp of garlic powder
- Salt and pepper to taste.
Combine all the ingredients together except for the cranberries and apricots mix until smooth and fluffy. this takes 1-2 minutes.
Stir in the chopped fruits. Check seasoning and chill for 20 minutes before serving.
Artichoke and mint dip.
- 285 gm jar of artichoke anti-pasta in oil.
- A good handful of mint leaves stripped from the stalk
- 3 tbsp of creme fraiche
- 1-2 tbsp fresh lemon juice
- Lemon wedges and a mint sprig to garnish.
This can be made up to a day in advance, blitz the artichokes with their oil and the mint in a blender or food processor until fairly smooth. Add the creme fraiche, season and pulse once then add the lemon juice, Tip into a small bowl, cover with cling film and chill.
Lastly one of my favourites…
- 1 med red onion finely chopped
- 2 small cloves garlic (minced)
- 3 large ripe tomatoes (peeled, chopped)
- 1-2 red chilli peppers (hot or mild)
- 2-3 tablespoons chopped cilantro.
- 1 1/2-2 tablespoons lime juice.
- salt and pepper, to taste.
Combine all the ingredients and season well…
All of these dips are really quick to put together sometimes I use my little blender with the guacamole but am careful not to make it too smooth.
They can be served with my saltine crackers, pitta bread or Doritos or anything else of your choice…
I can also be found over on my new blog Orienthailiving it would be lovely to see you there and if you sign up for my newsletter then i will give you a FREE How to make Thai Curry pastes PDF…