You are never too young to cook!

I believe that if children want to cook then they should be allowed…There are always things they can do …..Even Lily she bashes the biscuit crumbs for the cheesecake base..she is a dab hand with the pestle and mortar and can cut a mean mushroom. She also has to clean up..you cook…You clean…Is my motto…

Aston has progressed, he cooks all the steaks and eggs, the pie tops and is my taste tester for Thai food… A bit more lime or fish sauce and ramp up the chillies is his mantra.

Even Lily especially when it is beef salad sits with tears rolling down her cheeks saying Ped (hot) and still eats it…lol…. A true Thai ๐Ÿ™‚

Aston cooking brushing the pies

Aston sharing what he has cooked…His friends in the village wanted to try our food..this time it was spaghetti bolognese….nextย time he is going to make carbonara so he tells me…I think food unites us..well it certainly does here.

do they like spag bol

Aston cooking Grapow Moo ( stir fried pork with the herb grapow) which is served with steamed rice with an egg on top. Grapowย belongs to the basil family.

Lily is making biscuits.

Lily (2)

Aston helping with the bread he loves kneading the bread….

Ready for the oven just brushing with milk.

brushing rolls with milk

Fresh from the oven….

bread rolls from oven 1

I have had this post half done for a while…Current events have greatly saddened me and I believe we can change things although some things have to come from those in power and publicly.

Some of my grandchildren are mixed race and we love them all equally and are very proud of them. I believe food can transcendย some barriers if we share. We do this and if my grandson comes across prejudice we make bread…He can knead and bash that bread and we then get lovely bread and his anger at any injustice is forgotten…Dough is a wonderful thing and anyone who dares to tell me it cannot change …I will defy them and say it must change..there are many wonderful tolerant, loving people in this world and we can’t change the past but we can affect the future and need to look forward to a better one for our children and grandchildren by taking a stand against those who don’t want that…If we all did that it would have to pass on that message that says we don’t want this, we don’t agree with this… But stand and be counted..we must do that…

Until next time stay safe, laugh a lot and be happy ..I love you all and am thankful that you read my posts….If you like them please reblog and share….

42 thoughts on “You are never too young to cook!

1. Alex

You actually make it appear so easy along with your presentation however I in finding this matter to be actually something that I think I would by no means understand. It seems too complicated and very large for me. I’m looking ahead in your next submit, I’ll attempt to get the cling of it!

Liked by 1 person

1. Carol Post author

Thank you Alex…Like the children I start them on easy tasks and they love it…Not many of us were born cooks we all had to start at the bottom and this is what I do with my grandchildren nd they love to cook ๐Ÿ™‚

2. Scott andersen

Awesome as alwasy Carol. I started my own kids cooking when they were little. I am a firm believer that everyone should be able to take care of and provide for themselves. That comes from my mother who taught me that rule!
    As for the last theme, that of equality, I am in complete agreement with that as well. The world is a place of anger and frustration. We truly need to stand together and be one human race first, and the fiture out if we are for Manchester or Real Madrid once we establish we are the same!

Liked by 1 person

1. blondieaka Post author

I know Scott…I am saddened by what is going on and we try really hard to talk to our grandchildren about it and how wrong some of it..His words to me last night..were we all have red blood nannie ..well except for me and I am blue blooded…lol

3. Lรฉa

I would adore having grandchildren in the kitchen. When I was a single mom and putting myself through university I got my kids more involved in the kitchen. As they grew they took on the responsibility of one meal a week. The boys too! My older son, the family extrovert took what he learned and when he became interested in a girl, he would find out when her mother’s birthday was then bake the mother a birthday cake… I had to watch that one! ๐Ÿ™‚ They are all quite comfortable in the kitchen and I need not worry about them going hungry.

Liked by 1 person

1. blondieaka Post author

That’s good Lea I wish more people did it and one day you may get grand children and then you can teach them…I am lucky mine live with us and their dad who loves to cook so I get to be the sous chef and I don’t mind one little bit…lol

Liked by 1 person

1. blondieaka Post author

I hope you do…If you don’t ..I had a friend who had no children and she used to borrow my daughter and they had lovely times cooking and were friends for life although Jilly was much older they always had this bond which was lovely ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

4. Rex Trulove

That is exactly how my mother raised my siblings and me. We were encouraged to cook and the only rule was that if we made a mess, we cleaned it up. That was fair. That was how Mom was raised. Consequently, my brother and both sisters are good cooks. It didn’t stop there, either. All four of us were taught to hunt and to fish, and what to do when we caught fish, brought down a deer, squirrel, or rabbit, etc. It is the pioneer spirit mentality that too many in the US have gotten away from. Even the gardening is part of the self-sufficiency thing we were encouraged toward.

Liked by 1 person

1. blondieaka Post author

Exactly, Rex we are the same and they love to learn and why not teach them ..It is such shame everyone is not the same…We only had a small garden in our first house but I grew potatoes and everything in pots, bags, climbing up something on window sills..lol..I was nothing if not inventive and I can skin a rabbit as well as the next one if I had too and it is always me who guts the fish.. Thank you for your comment ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

1. Rex Trulove

LOL…my son still calls me to get my recipes for things I used to cook when he was growing up. He knows how to cook, as we taught them the same way, but he tends to be a little lazy. ๐Ÿ˜€

5. Annette Rochelle Aben

Every person should learn how to make at least one thing, and do it well. My 18 year old nephew make crepes better than any restaurant He wanted to learn when he was around 5 and delights in serving his creations to everyone! His younger brother loves to fish, and can host a fish fry like a boss!

Liked by 1 person

6. Smorgasbord - Variety is the Spice of Life.

Reblogged this on Smorgasbord – Variety is the spice of life and commented:
    Carol Taylor shares her cookery with her grandchildren and the value of making this everyday process family time and also an opportunity to put the darker side of life to one side whilst we knead dough.. Her grandchildren are already becoming very adept in the kitchen and this is a lovely post. Also coming up at midnight on Smorgasbord, Carol joins me with some of her recipes for that versatile and healthy fruit the Banana.

Liked by 1 person

7. Pingback: You are never too young to cook! – The Militant Negroโ„ข

8. globalhousesitterX2

We have quite a few cultures in our family as my brothers and sister married non-kiwis. I love this fact though family gatherings can have its moments ๐Ÿ™‚ Love this post, and your grandchildren remind me of when Minh and Kane were young. Their mother is an excellent cook and Minh is equally or if not better than her mother. Food does connect people, discussing political parties does not ๐Ÿ™‚

1. blondieaka Post author

I agree and why not …I have just been having a conversation with my grandson who is 12 about this and do know what he said and not prompted by me? We all have the same colour blood and he is correct ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person

2. globalhousesitterX2

Hahaha so very correct. I think my nephew and nieces are extremely lucky to have two cultures to draw from and learn about life. That is why we do housesitting as we love learning about other cultures and of course eating their food ๐Ÿ™‚

Liked by 1 person